Monday, August 06, 2007

Aw c’mon, gimme an effin’ break! A blogger’s union? Who should I strike against? Myself? Qwaaack!


"In a move that might make some people scratch their heads, a loosely formed coalition of left-leaning bloggers are trying to band together to form a labor union they hope will help them receive health insurance, conduct collective bargaining or even set professional standards." --(AP story. Copy and paste the humongous link below.)
http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d8qr1uk00&date=20070805

Look, dude, I lean slightly to the left, but that doesn’t mean I earn a salary writing this blog. It's a labor of love. Or maybe of insanity. At any rate, there’s no way I figure I could make two cents an hour with what I'm sending out into the blogosphere.

If I go on strike and actually succeed in doubling my salary, I’ll still have zero salary.

If I go on strike to force myself to pay me a salary and win, I’ll have to take money out of my left pants pocket and put it in my right pants pocket. This is probably true of 99 and 9/10ths percent of the bloggers out there.

And then with whom should we, as members of the Blogger's Union, compete for membership? The Newspaper Guild? Not that I have anything against unions, but in order for a union to work, you have to have employees and employers. Maybe we could ignore that and simply oppose any union that isn't our union. We could have a blogger-laborer’s song:

The newspaper union
Is a no-good union
Is a company union
Of the bosses (Hissss)

The Writers’ Guild fakers
And the journalist muckrakers
Are making by the bloggers
Double crosses. (Hisssss)

The Mudochs and the Newscorps
And the Bancroft Clan –
Got ze-ro resistance from the Un-ian
They spread lies in the atmosphere
And finance disaster here
To bring down the blogosphere
With a union.

Tell you what, boys and girls. I’ll work on improving this verse if you go home and re-think unionizing a workforce that mostly works for itself.

No comments: