Friday, June 06, 2014

Farewell. I’m going to a far, far better (and a whole lot quirkier) place. But only for a week.

This photograph was stolen from the Yellow Springs Chamber of Commerce via the web.
I’ve written about the wonderfully eccentric and usually delightful town of Yellow Springs, Ohio, more than a few times during the life of this blog. You can read some samples here, and here, and also here.

Please note that in one of these posts, several years ago, I declared that  Antioch College was dead. I blamed this on the machinations of the evil university by the same name that the college spawned, a university that attempted academic patricide.  For a while, the university appeared to have succeeded.

Now Antioch is risen from its own ashes. It has escaped the thrall of the evil university and is an independent college again. It appears to be flourishing,while coming closer to what everybody hopes will be the accreditation it lost when the  university closed it. The college is building a new faculty and attracting first rate students, thanks in part to a temporary tuition-free program that led the cream of the crop to apply. 

My week in Yellow Springs will be mostly devoted to trying to do some good for Antioch College, but I do hope to spend my free time in downtown Yellow Springs, sampling its restaurants, introducing myself to its newspaper staff (many of whom weren’t born yet when the Yellow Springs News job printed the college newspaper I edited) and see what has changed since I got my education in those parts back in the mid-Twentieth Century.

I won’t be taking a computer with me and I don’t do smart phones. Therefore I don't tweet, twitter, or text. But maybe, with any luck, I’ll be able to put up another blog post about Yellow Springs some time the week of June 16th, when I get back.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Have a wonderful time. I have no doubt you will be welcomed back, with people interested in your writing and opinions. Enjoy connecting with people in physical space instead of tech. Sometimes you have to get off the intertoobs and disconnect. I can't tell you how many times I've traveled through Ohio, never having the pleasure of stopping in Yellow Springs. My loss, your gain.

Comrade Misfit said...

Have a good trip!