Unfortunately, he's too old to be sent up to his room
for a time out.
Here's the official list of symptoms:
▪ Often loses temper
▪ Argues with adults and authority figures
▪ Refuses to comply with adult requests
▪ Blames others for his mistakes
▪ Deliberately annoys people
▪ Is easily annoyed by others
▪ Is angry/resentful and spiteful/vindictive.
These are the symptoms of a personality disorder in six year olds called Oppositional Defiant Disorder, or ODD.
PsychoCentral.com reports that “If a child exhibits four or more of these behaviors for six months or longer he would likely be diagnosed with ODD…”
PsychoCentral also reports that “A common trait of kids with oppositional Defiant Disorder is that they often see themselves as victims and feel justified in acting out.”
So there you have it, folks. Or rather we have it. And what we have is a six-year-old with a severe personality disorder about to take charge of the economy, court appointments, healthcare, education, the military, and launch control of the nuclear bomb.
What could possibly go wrong?